Monday, October 12, 2009

Expect great things.

"Expect great things from God, attempt great things for God." - William Carey, 18th century missionary to India

It's been a while since an update, for which I apologize. I'll get everyone up to date.

The Passport arrived a few weeks ago and is heading out again tomorrow to get my Visa. Tickets were bought and then canceled (thanks British Airways), but new ones are bought, and hopefully these will stick. Fundraising is going OK, and I know God is getting the details behind the scenes worked out. Once I figure out a way to get my traffic school re-scheduled, I should be about ready to go.

The closer this trip gets, the more overwhelming (in a good way) it becomes. I recently read a book called "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years" by Donald Miller. The main thrust of the book is the notion that to live better lives, we must live better stories. Our lives are often underwhelming because the story we live in is small and myopic. We must risk living in a bigger story, embracing all the challenges and heartache that comes with great stories.

Going to India is, on my part, a big step in living a bigger story. I have no way of understanding the level to which God will challenge and confront me with His kingdom. But in the words of William Carey, I am preparing to expect great things in the process of attempting great things. God willing, this will be the start of many more greater stories to come.

More to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment