Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Justin Goes to India...this fall!

Hi everyone, and thanks for visiting the site. If your wondering about the blog title, it's not just a catchy name - I'm actually going to India the first two weeks of November 2009 through United Missions Abroad, a missions organization that operates out of my church (Vineyard Community Church) here in Lexington, KY. Here's some basic info about my trip:


Where I'm going: Our team will be spending the majority of our time in Madurai, a large city in southern India. Madurai is located in a state called Tamil Nadu, and is known for having the largest Hindu Temple in all of India.

What I'll Be Doing: My team has three primary objectives on this trip. First, to provide teaching and training for about 100 local pastors and potential pastors. Myself and Randy Rodgers, our Missions team leader and U.M.A. founder, will be teaching a theology class called "The Ministry of the Kingdom," which focuses of the theology of the Kingdom of God. It's a class from the Vineyard Bible Institute, the Vineyard's version of Bible College. Second, Our team will provide Medical assistance and classes in the local villages (I'll be less involved in this, obviously). Finally, we have a documentary filmaker named Zach Carter who will be filming throughout, highlighting the various ministries throughout the area in India (how cool is that?). In addition, I'll be leading worship on a few occasions on the weekends when time permits.

Why a blog?: The blog has two purposes - first, I'll be updating my progress on preparing for my trip to India. There's a lot to get done between now and then logistically, between raising funds and getting my class materials together. But more importantly, God has a lot of work to do in me spiritually to prepare me for this trip. I feel so humbled and honored to be able to serve these Indian pastors and leaders and be a small part of the kingdom of God advancing throughout India. I'll also be doing a very focused study of the theology of the kingdom of God and the Gospels in the months leading up to the trip, so I'll be sharing from those studies also. And when I get there, I'll update my progress as much as possible, hopefully with pictures!

Are you raising support?: Yes! I need to raise $3000 dollars for this trip. In our current economy, this certainly seems like a lot. But I also know that where God leads, He provides. And I certainly feel as if this is something God has called me to do in this season. If you'd like to give and support my trip, here's how:

A. Make checks out to United Missions Abroad, or UMA.
B. Send checks to

United Missions Abroad c/o
Vineyard Community Church
817 Winchester Rd.
Lexington, KY 40517

C. Your gift is tax deductible. BUT - do not put my name in the by line, or it will not be. Write on a separate sheet that gift is intended for my trip.

***
How can you pray?:
First, pray for the Church in India. India is primarily Hindu, with only about 2% being Christian. In a country with billions of people, there is obviously a need to see the Gospel advance. Hinduism is a religious system that puts a lot of bondange on India spiritually, economically, and socially. Pray that the kingdom of God would break into India in a mighty way.
Second, pray that God would continue to shape me and prepare my heart for the task at hand. Pray that the Enemy's attacks against me would be thwarted and that my heart would continue to be transformed by the Gospel.
Finally, pray that myself and all the members of the team would be able to raise the support needed for this trip. We trust that God is faithful and will provide.
If you have any questions about the trip, giving, India, or anything else, feel free to ask by emailing me at justin.rhorer@gmail.com.
To close, I am deeply indepted and humbled by your prayers and support, as well as the opportunity to serve the nation of India and the Church in such a tangible way. Thank you for coming along on the journey ahead, and stay tuned because there's more ahead!
Justin

1 comment:

  1. WOW Justin! I am of friend of Erica's. I was to be in Vietnam in Nov. but out trip has been postponed until Spring. Our trip cost the same amount and I find it so interesting about the tax deduction with a name on it. I will be checking on you as you prepare!

    ReplyDelete